There are some recipes that immediately take you to a certain time and place, a feeling that is just as much a part of the recipe as any of the ingredients. The recipe I’m sharing today is just that: a distillation of summer that helps you kick back and relax in the warm summer evenings. The recipe itself is fairly simple and is open to improvisation if there are other seasonings or toppings you want to experiment with.
For the Special Sauce:
2 Dill Pickle Spears (or 1/2 Pickle)
1/2 cup Mayo
1/2 cup Ketchup
1 Tbsp Mustard
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 tsp Hot Sauce (I used Sriracha because I had it on hand, but any will work)
1 Tbsp Old Bay
Burger Buns, Lettuce, and Tomato for serving
- Combine half of shrimp, butter, and egg in bowl of food processor. Start by pulsing to combine, then blend until mixture resembles a paste.
- Add rest of patty ingredients to food processor and pulse until shrimp pieces are about 1/2 inch in size and mixture is well distributed, about 6-7 pulses.
- Form mixture into 4-6 patties, depending on how large you want the patties to be. Place on plate, cover with plastic wrap, and leave in fridge to firm up for at least 20 minutes (I’ve left them in overnight to chill with no ill effects)
- Meanwhile, make the special sauce. Start by removing wetter, seeded center of pickle spears. Chop remaining pickle into fine dice. Combine with rest of sauce ingredients and place in covered bowl to chill in fridge. This special sauce definitely tastes better with a little to gel, so feel free to leave in fridge for 30 minutes or up to a couple days.
- When it is time to assemble burgers, begin by toasting buns in butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Heat large skillet over medium high heat. Add olive or vegetable oil to coat.
- Place patties in pan. They should sizzle as soon as they hit the pan. If they don’t remove and wait for oil to heat up.
- Cook patties for 2-3 minutes per side, until bottom is golden brown and inside registers 120 F.
- Top buns with spread of special sauce, shredded lettuce, and thinly sliced tomatoes. Place cooked patty on top, and finish with another spread of special sauce.